CCIU - Guidance
Counselor: Ms. Carol Gaspar
Guidance and counseling services are provided to St. Basil the Great School (SBG) through the Non-Public School Services division of the Chester County Intermediate Unit (CCIU). For more information about the CCIU, visit www.cciu.org.
Ms. Carol Gaspar is the PA state-certified school counselor assigned to SBG and has worked here since September 2000. The guidance program at SBG includes a variety of services such as individual and small group counseling, classroom guidance lessons, educational screening, and consultation with teachers and parents. Please click here to read about all of the services offered by the guidance program at St. Basil's.
Here at St. Basil’s we have a process known as Child Study. This is a team approach to problem solving that allows educators with different expertise to work together to develop effective intervention strategies in order to help children who are struggling academically, behaviorally, socially or emotionally. The members of the Child Study Team consist of the Principal, the referring Teacher, the Guidance Counselor, the Speech Therapist, the Math and Reading Specialists and the Parents. The process consists of problem identification, goal setting, and the selection, implementation and monitoring of intervention strategies and recommendations. This is a process that occurs only with the consent and commitment of the parents.
Ms. Gaspar is at SBG on Tuesdays and Thursdays and can be reached by calling 610-983-0767. Feel free to leave a confidential voicemail message any time and Ms. Gaspar will return your call as soon as possible.
For more information about a variety of topics related to child development, parenting, and education, please visit the parent websites listed below.
Check out these websites for useful information about parenting and other issues of interest to parents of school-age children!
- www.allkindsofminds.org – Information on learning styles and how to help your child who is struggling in school
- www.keepkidshealthy.com – A pediatrician’s guide to your children’s health and safety; includes information on health and safety issues, parenting tips, and more!
- www.pbs.org/parents - Helpful information on child development, as well as links to books and activities to nurture your child’s social, emotional, and intellectual development
- www.ccls.org – Link to “Live Homework Help” for kids and parents available through the Chester County Library System
- www.ldonline.org – Information for parents about learning disabilities and ADHD
- www.chadd.org – Organization offering support for parents of children with ADHD (as well as adults with ADHD) with a link to the local chapter in Chester County